Skip to main content

How do I deal with this name change situation?

I'm from Afghanistan but I was born in Saudi Arabia. My goal is to immigrate to U.S someday but:

I have an interesting name issue, for which I will use "Name A" and "Name B" to refer to the name records I had.

My dad had Name A in Afghanistan and when he was in Pakistan he had Name B in his Pakistani records and then eventually moved to Saudi Arabia where I was later born.

Now my birth certificate has his name B as my last name (in our culture surnames are usually the dad's first name instead of one family name)

Later we came back to Afghanistan where we are currently.

Turns out my dad still has his really old Afghan national ID that had his first Name A and started using that again and made me a national ID derived from it.

Now my last name has his Name A instead of the Name B. My Birth certificate still has my Name B so there's a mismatch.

I have no idea how to explain this and provide evidence of name change for immigration purposes.

It feels like we have two seperate identities that are completely disconnected from the other. The name changes happened as a result of moving countries, so we don't really have any proof of name change documents. Just our documents suddenly changed names as we moved countries since my dad already had his old national ID to return to his past Afghan identity.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

I was thinking of changing our names back to Name B but then that's an extra name change record. I believe the U.S immigration requires me to submit all past names and this only creates an extra record without explaining how I had it in the first place so it looks like as if I changed name to commit fraud. But is it possible to simply not mention Name A? How are they gonna find out? I've never been fingerprinted under this ID.

Otherwise is there any other way to connect the two identities together?

Extra information: I still have expired passports that were issued under Name B, which may help. And some exit papers from Saudi Arabia. Since our identities are so disconnected we could get new passports without returning the old ones.

This issue really makes me so frustrated so appreciate any advice or hints that can guide me to the right direction.

TL;DR: Dad (includes me due to last name inheritance) changed name in a different country; home country does not recognize his name change since he decided to return to his old ID which he kept. Now I'm not sure how to prove the other name is mine for U.S immigration.

also as far as I know I don't think my dad has any proof of name change documents, not sure how he changed it exactly.

I'm sorry if I explained this badly, feel free to ask any questions if more info is needed.

submitted by /u/RyuDev
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

Tips for Increasing Your Chances in the Green Card Lottery

Are you dreaming of relocating to the land of opportunities? The Green Card Lottery DV (Diversity Visa) could be your ticket to making that dream a reality. Each year, thousands of individuals from eligible countries participate in this lottery, hoping to secure permanent residency in the United States. While the lottery is a game of chance, there are a few tips that can boost your chances of success. In this article, we will explore some effective strategies to increase your likelihood of winning the Green Card Lottery DV. 1. Submitting Early: Don't wait until the last minute to submit your application. The Green Card Lottery DV has a limited number of slots available, and once they are filled, no more applications will be accepted. By submitting your application early, you ensure that you have a higher chance of being considered. 2. Review the Eligibility Criteria: Before applying, carefully review the eligibility requirements for the Green Card Lottery DV. Ensure that you