Skip to main content

Unpaid externship, not for academic credit, with organisation who is not a designated sponsor - B1/B2 visa or J-1?

Update: my embassy got back to me and said I should apply for a H-3 visa as a trainee. This would involve my org filing a I-129H on my behalf and submitting it to the USCIS directly.

Hi all, I posted here yesterday but seemed to get downvoted for being confused lol just to be clear, I really do not want to do anything illegal, I am just very confused about the US visa system as my situation may be somewhat unique and I am trying to figure out how to do all this correctly.
I recently graduated from a masters programme and therefore am no longer a student. I have been offered a 6 month unpaid externship in the States. It's part time, 20 - 32 hours a week and there is no financial or academic compensation. The organisation is a nonprofit civil rights organisation and the purpose of the externship would be to gain work experience and professional development.

My question: I have applied for a B1/B2 visa under the advice of someone who has done the same thing for the same organisation successfully and am awaiting the visa interview. I've been told I actually need a J-1 visa (by people on Reddit). However, the organisation is not a designated sponsor of the J-1 visa programme and it is not for academic credit. I am also not currently enrolled in any academic programme. I think this rules out the F and M visas also. Would then the B1/B2 visa be appropriate?

I completed an inquiry form through my local embassy to try and get some advice but due to Covid, there is a huge backlog and responses times are long - so if anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated! I'm just trying to work out how to do this the right way!

submitted by /u/UnconditionalMay
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

Tips for Increasing Your Chances in the Green Card Lottery

Are you dreaming of relocating to the land of opportunities? The Green Card Lottery DV (Diversity Visa) could be your ticket to making that dream a reality. Each year, thousands of individuals from eligible countries participate in this lottery, hoping to secure permanent residency in the United States. While the lottery is a game of chance, there are a few tips that can boost your chances of success. In this article, we will explore some effective strategies to increase your likelihood of winning the Green Card Lottery DV. 1. Submitting Early: Don't wait until the last minute to submit your application. The Green Card Lottery DV has a limited number of slots available, and once they are filled, no more applications will be accepted. By submitting your application early, you ensure that you have a higher chance of being considered. 2. Review the Eligibility Criteria: Before applying, carefully review the eligibility requirements for the Green Card Lottery DV. Ensure that you