H1B visa holder, marrying my fiancée back home. Which country to file marriage?

  • Me: H1B, living and working in Illinois
  • Fiancée: Non US citizen living in Japan

I want to get married now, so that she can move here in the US.

Can I file marriage in the US? Or am I supposed to do so back home? Or both?

Best scenario is I can just file some docs in Illinois, then my fiancée can go to the US embassy in Japan*. Is this a normal procedure or am I missing something critical?

*Japan laws forces me to change my last name, which I don’t want if possible.

submitted by /u/eatingurluckycharms
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/p9i9gl/h1b_visa_holder_marrying_my_fiancée_back_home/

Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!