Can I change my status from B2 to F1 although I overstayed for 2 years as a minor

I came to the US when I was 15 on a B2 visa 2 years ago. Initially, I was supposed to come for a vacation and to visit my mom who works here and came with my younger brothers(They were 6 years old at that time). However, when I got here, my mom said I'll be staying here. After a month, I got enrolled in a public high school and started schooling. I'm a high school senior now who will be applying to colleges soon. I now found out that the visa I came on was a tourist visa (B2) because that information is needed for the Common App. I also found out that I was not supposed to stay for more than 6 months and was not supposed to attend school here. I read that minors are protected from accruing unlawful presence. I will be 18 in the next 6 months and I will start accruing unlawful presence after that time. I keep trying to talk to my mum about it but she keeps saying that I am not here illegally, that she has a lawyer working on getting my brothers and I a green card, and that I can just apply for change of status. I do not know whether she is being optimistic or willfully ignorant about the B2 visa restrictions. I feel like change of status might not work because of my overstaying and that this could be classified as preconceived intent. I feel like this is both my mom's fault for applying for a B2 visa for me and my fault for not learning about the visa and restrictions 2 years ago.

I was a dumb kid who did not check the visa he was on. I did not know about visa types. I feel that ignorance is not an excuse and I might be denied a change of status. The thought of not being able to go to college here, despite having good grades, being barred and even possibly not being able to get another visa to come back here once I turn 18 scares me a lot. Talking to my mom isn't working so I felt like making a throw away account and posting this here might somehow help. Sorry for being too verbose

submitted by /u/Winter_Treat_3091
[link] [comments]


Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!