Hi all, I’m currently on ESTA which came into effect early November. My trip takes up about 80 days as I’m here visiting my SO.
Today my SO told me that his entire family tested positive for COVID-19. I still have about a month before I fly off, but I’m really worried. We met his family for Christmas, and I’m really worried - This is basically my worst nightmare. We have a couple for ART kits to use, but I’ve been told symptoms don’t show up etc.
The USCIS website states that in cases related to COVID-19, those under a Visa Waiver program are eligible to request an additional 30 days for suitable departure:
Flexibility for Visa Waiver Entrants. Visa Waiver Program (VWP) entrants are not eligible to extend their stay or change status. However, under current regulations, if an emergency (such as COVID-19) prevents the departure of a VWP entrant, USCIS in its discretion may grant a period of satisfactory departure for up to 30 days. Please see 8 CFR 217.3(a). For those VWP entrants already granted satisfactory departure and unable to depart within this 30-day period because of COVID-19 related issues, USCIS has the authority to temporarily provide an additional 30-day period of satisfactory departure. To request satisfactory departure from USCIS, a VWP entrant should call the USCIS Contact Center. https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/covid-19-delays-in-extensionchange-of-status-filings
Should I wait and see if we test positive for COVID? I don’t know what to do next, can anyone please advise - any help is greatly appreciated.