Us Citizen Residing in Canada for the time being, wants to have baby in Canada, but wants the baby to also be an American Citizen

So my husband and I got married in the US. I’m an American, born and raised. He’s a Canadian, born and raised. We’ve moved to Canada and have been here for two and a half years.

We’re thinking about starting to try for a baby. We’ll definitely be living in Canada for the next few years, so it would make sense for us to have the baby in a Canadian hospital, which would of course mean the baby would be born a Canadian citizen. My only concern is how to go about getting an American citizenship for the baby. Its very important to me that my baby be an American, just like I am. What processes would I need to do in this scenario? Thanks in advance.

TLDR: If an American living in Canada has a baby in Canada, how would they get their baby an American citizenship?

submitted by /u/cocoturtle1
[link] [comments]


Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!