Skip to main content

Traveling Abroad After Filing a Form I-751 to Remove Conditions on Residence

Foreign nationals who become conditional residents by marrying a US citizen or LPR are able to travel abroad. However, unlike permanent residents who have a 10-year green card, conditional residents are given a two-year green card, at the end of which they must file a form I-751 to remove the conditions on residence. A successful I-751 petition removes the conditions and provides the foreign national with permanent resident status. But this is a lengthy process, sometimes taking years.

So, can a foreign national travel abroad while the Form I-751 petition is pending?

The answer is generally yes, but there are some risks to consider. First, foreign nationals should be certain that the I-751 was submitted correctly and on time. Once submitted, USCIS will usually mail the applicant a form I-797C, Notice of Action. This is a receipt proving that the I-751 was submitted. It will also provide an extension (typically for 18 months) to the conditional residence. However, it may take USCIS several weeks for this letter to be issued. In addition to the I-797C, foreign nationals should not depart the US without some other key documents necessary to reenter the US. And even with the correct documents in hand, foreign nationals should also be mindful of any past issues that may put them at risk in seeking reentry into the US.

After a conditional green card has expired, but before a new 10-year green card arrives, it’s important for any foreign national to carry the following items when traveling abroad:

Valid, unexpired passport

Expired conditional green card

Valid, unexpired I-797C, Notice of Action

These documents are used to prove that the foreign national is lawfully permitted to be in (or reenter) the US. Remember, the inadmissibility rules continue to apply, just as they would for any green card holder seeking to reenter the US. Accordingly, foreign nationals should NOT depart the US if they have any outstanding issues that could make them inadmissible. These can include such things as criminal offenses or past immigration violations. Also, if the I-751 petition is denied while the foreign national is abroad, reentry into the US may not be possible. The foreign national may even be referred to an immigration judge for removal upon arrival. If you have doubt on any of these issues, consult with a competent attorney before traveling. If you require extended travel abroad after filing a form I-751, consider obtaining a reentry permit before you do. This can help avoid a decision by a CBP officer to deny reentry on the grounds that the conditional residence was abandoned.

You should seriously consider the risks and necessity of taking lengthy trips abroad while the I-751 is pending. Proper planning and knowledge are key to minimizing the risks. If your 751 is pending, consulting with an attorney prior to travel is a smart step.

submitted by /u/JoeGentileESQ
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

Tips for Increasing Your Chances in the Green Card Lottery

Are you dreaming of relocating to the land of opportunities? The Green Card Lottery DV (Diversity Visa) could be your ticket to making that dream a reality. Each year, thousands of individuals from eligible countries participate in this lottery, hoping to secure permanent residency in the United States. While the lottery is a game of chance, there are a few tips that can boost your chances of success. In this article, we will explore some effective strategies to increase your likelihood of winning the Green Card Lottery DV. 1. Submitting Early: Don't wait until the last minute to submit your application. The Green Card Lottery DV has a limited number of slots available, and once they are filled, no more applications will be accepted. By submitting your application early, you ensure that you have a higher chance of being considered. 2. Review the Eligibility Criteria: Before applying, carefully review the eligibility requirements for the Green Card Lottery DV. Ensure that you