Skip to main content

Somewhat complex situation with EU girlfriend - bringing us together in the US

(throwaway account for personal reasons)

My EU girlfriend of over 1 year, is visiting me in the US for 3 months in the winter (for around 80-90 days) on ESTA, after which point we're leaving the country to travel (and work remotely) in Europe or South America for a few months (1-3 months).

She will be working alongside me as an outside consultant for my business during this time. Our plan is to live together in the long term and for her to move to the US to be with me legally through a fiance visa and obtaining a green card. From my research, there seem to be a few different ways for me approach this, but with ambiguous CBP and immigration laws, it makes it difficult to figure out the optimal path for us to be together without breaking the law.

My biggest questions revolve around what will enable us to spend time together and not breaking the law while following the proper legal process. With that said, my questions are as follows:

  1. Knowing that we want to be together, can we begin the K-1 visa application right now before she enters the US on her ESTA (in order to expedite the K-1 process as much as we can) or would CBP give her a hard time as to why she's entering the US through ESTA with a pending K-1 application under her name?
  2. Can we classify her travel to the US for business since she will work with me as an outside consultant? Would she be able to enter the US on her ESTA shortly (1-3 months) after leaving the country without a problem?

The situation that I imagined was for her to be with me in the country for 90 days while our K-1 application gets processed, then to leave the country for a few months, before returning again to the US on her ESTA and staying for <90 days, before she goes to her home country to attend the K-1 visa interview. Does this break any laws?

submitted by /u/ranaorong
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

E3 Visa (Australians)

Who qualifies for the E3 visa? The E-3 visa classification applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E-3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizens. However the U.S. does not recognize De Facto relationships for the purposes of immigration, and to qualify as a spouse you will need a marriage certificate. Read more ...