J-1 visa and long term partner abroad?


I am on a J-1 visa in the US working for a year, and have a long term partner at home in the UK. We have discussed marriage but have decided we cannot at this point afford to have a full marriage celebration. Therefore we cannot use a J-2 visa to get her here.

What are our best options for: 1) her spending the most time possible with me here that she legally can? 2) getting her full residence here once we decide to get married?

And if we marry does the country we do it in matter? Do I have to let my employer know of our intention to get married and seek a J-2?

Finally, I have the return home rule exempted and may seek O-1 or B-1 type employment after some time. How does this affect her if we marry and she comes on a J-2?

submitted by /u/HailMary74
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/qxbtmv/j1_visa_and_long_term_partner_abroad/

Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!