Skip to main content

Canadian citizen with Job offer in US working on TN Visa

Good afternoon everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I am a Canadian citizen and have been offered a job in US. Being a Canadian citizen, I can apply for a TN1 Visa to legally work in the United States. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can shed some light on the following questions I have;

1- I have a principal residence in Canada in joint name with my elderly parents who currently live with me in this house. Can I still keep it and let my parents who are also on title use the house? Will there be any tax implications regarding this?

2- I have maxed out my rrsp and tsfa accounts and currently generate dividend income in both these accounts. How would I approach my rrsp and tfsa accounts before I can start this job and move to US? I researched online and found info that I can keep my rrsp but will have to close my tfsa account as US doesn’t have anything matching this. All gains in the rrsp accounts will be taxable in the states.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.


submitted by /u/rango3221
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

E3 Visa (Australians)

Who qualifies for the E3 visa? The E-3 visa classification applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E-3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizens. However the U.S. does not recognize De Facto relationships for the purposes of immigration, and to qualify as a spouse you will need a marriage certificate. Read more ...