It has been a difficult time for all of us due to COVID-19. I hope all of you are doing as well as you can.
I just accepted an offer for a 3 month paid internship starting beginning of December which means it'll end beginning of March. I'm currently in the first year of my post-completion OPT and it is slated to end April 27th of 2021.
I have a master of science major in Mechanical Engineering and I was planning on finding another job (hopefully one with a longer duration) right after, so preferably by mid march or end of march (At least a month before my OPT period ends on April 27th). Does that give me enough time for me to file for an STEM OPT extension? I heard that as long as they receive my application before that date, I have an extra 180 days to wait on their decision.
My concern is that some companies will refuse to hire me if I haven't gotten the approval of the STEM OPT extension but the thing is I can't have a job if they won't hire me because of that.
Does anyone here have experience with finding a job a month or two before their OPT ends and successfully getting a STEM OPT extension? Any advice or recommendation is appreciated.