Granting US citizenship to my children

I am a naturalized US citizen, meaning I became a US citizen later in life.

I no longer live in the US, and I have since then gotten married (non-US) and got kids.

Looking into the rules from transmitting citizenship, this is what the embassy says:

A child born (...) may be entitled to citizenship provided the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, at least two years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen.

Now, I have been physically in the US for more than 5 years (about 8), however I started with a green card and only about 5 years in I became a citizen (so 2 or 3 years as a citizen).

So my question is, does it matter? Do the 5 years need to be as a citizen? The text doesn't really cover this case.

submitted by /u/nasht00
[link] [comments]


Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!