Getting married and moving to the US with my fiancée. Need help understanding what to do.

Hello I am a Danish citizen and I am planning to move from Denmark to the US so that I can start my life with my fiancée. We were trying to look into immigrating to Denmark instead however due to other circumstances we decided that it would be easier for me to move to the US instead.

With this in mind, I sent a mail to the US embassy asking for advice on this matter and I was discouraged to see that I received a boilerplate response, which in short told me to apply for a citizenship in the regular manner. I know however that I wouldn't need to use the standard mode of entry considering I am entering a marriage with a US citizen and there is a provision I know of called a "Form I-129F" which as the internet tells me, will allow me to go to the US to arrange a marriage ceremony with my fiancée, after which I can apply for what I'm pretty sure is not a citizenship but rather a green card.

They trouble remains, it's very difficult to wrap your head around all of these various rules and laws, so I don't even know if being engaged to an American citizen is all I need to be considered eligible or whether there are other conditions that need to be satisfied. As well as this, provided I do satisfy these conditions, is there paper work there needs to be filed even prior to the marriage, because as this United States Citizenship and Immigration services PDF says:

"One way is to apply for a fiancé(e) visa if your fiancé(e) is overseas and you want to marry in the United States. This visa lets your fiancé(e) enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place in the United States. Once you marry, your spouse can apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while we process the application. If you choose this method, file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)."

"If we approve the I-129F, we will send it to the National Visa Center, which will process and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or consulate nearest your fiancé(e)’s foreign place of residence. The embassy or consulate will then invite him or her to apply for the actual fiancé(e) visa."

So as far as I gather, we have to file some form and that I am not sure as to what is, then we have to wait for approval of that form, at which point I can go to the US for 90 days to plan a marriage, and after the marriage I will be able to file another form to get a green card.

Is this all there is to it, or is there further preliminary work, or conditions that need to be met that I should know about prior to all that?

Of course I wanna tackle this subject before it becomes an issue in the comments. I realize I won't be able to enter the US as of right now, considering the closed border between Denmark and the US, Me and my fiancée are desperately waiting for the border to open and in the event that being fully vaccinated is a requirement, don't worry, I have been fully vaccinated.

If you have specific questions about all this, I'll be trying to answer them in the comment.

Either way, thank you for your attention.

submitted by /u/DevaKitty
[link] [comments]


Do you need an Hotel? Find the best rates!