A few questions about a TN visa application I'll be filing at the border this week.
First some context:
1) I went to the U.S. to visit my mother (Canadian doing Ph.D in California) and brother (American citizen, was born there) five months ago. Have been there since.
2) I was unemployed when I went to visit. Staying with family helped me financially. I applied for jobs in both Canada & the U.S. and received an offer from an American company.
3) The company's immigration lawyer has provided a strong support letter and G-28 (notice of appearance as attorney). My role fits under the NAFTA category of Mathematician. I have a Mathematics degree from an American university (did undergrad there). I spent the past two years working in London (UK).
Now, I believe the qualifications element of the application is pretty solid. What I'm unsure about is the demonstration of non-immigrant intent. Here's why:
1) I technically sought employment in the U.S. while under visitor status. While I didn't enter the country with that intent (my intent was to save rent money by staying with family), I did have to seek employment eventually and so I applied for jobs all over the world. Naturally, that would include the U.S.
2) I have very few ties to Canada. I did my undergrad in the U.S. and spent a year working there under a STEM OPT. Then I moved to London (UK) and worked there for two years. I have British (personal) and American (joint with my mother) bank accounts. I have no immediate family in Canada. The only tangible ties are a Canadian driver's license and a family home in Vancouver owned by my parents.
I'd like to know:
1) How big of a detriment would the issues above prove to be?
2) How can I mitigate them? The ironic thing is that I really have zero intent of immigrating to the U.S. After living in London I wanted to move to Singapore, but the pandemic hit and made that infeasible. I love being an expat and would want to leave the U.S. once the world reopens. I'm simply taking this job because it's a really great company and I want to be close to family until the world gets back on its feet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!