Skip to main content

Previously H-1B up to 2016, did a 5 month overstay and left the US. Now applying for a B1/B2.

Hi guys,

I went to study my undergrad in the US from 2008 to 2012, then stayed for work from 2012 to 2016 under OPT, OPT extension and then finally an H-1B.

Unfortunately the company I worked for closed down in Dic 2015 and per the law I was supposed to leave the US the next day (since under an H-1B I must be employed at all times). When speaking to my lawyer at the time, she advised me that I could stay in the US for up to 6 months since my termination date without risking any major immigration issues - something like an unofficial grace period for me to maybe secure another job or at least get my things in order so I could leave the US properly. She further explained that an overstay of +6 months was a different story and would bring definite harsh consequences, like a 3 or 5 year ban from visiting the US.

I finally left the US in May 2016, about 5 months after my contract was terminated. My lawyer advised me that when I reapplied for a visa, I should declare that I overstayed whilst on my H-1B. Not declaring this and them finding out was also grounds for a severe ban.

I am now thinking of finally visiting my friends in the US and hence begin an application process for a B1/B2 visa, and I was hoping y'all could help me with some advice. Currently employed, with comfortable savings and this would be the first time I apply for a US visa since my H-1B.

- Is this scenario similar to anyone elses experience? If so, how did it go when you reapplied for a visa?

- Under the context I provided and in your opinion/experience, would immigration take a "slap on the wrist" kind of approach to all of this or would the 5 month overstay be seen as a hard issue?

- Part of me thinks "what happens if I don't declare that I overstayed, how can they even know I did that?". And so my question is, how can they actually know I overstayed? What kind of stuff do they check for during the visa application process?

- I'm also assuming that under a Biden administration, I'm more likely to be forgiven for my overstay period, rather than during the Trump presidency. True or untrue?

- Any other comments or tips?

Thanks in advance for all the help and any feedback is welcome.

submitted by /u/chatoma
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

Tips for Increasing Your Chances in the Green Card Lottery

Are you dreaming of relocating to the land of opportunities? The Green Card Lottery DV (Diversity Visa) could be your ticket to making that dream a reality. Each year, thousands of individuals from eligible countries participate in this lottery, hoping to secure permanent residency in the United States. While the lottery is a game of chance, there are a few tips that can boost your chances of success. In this article, we will explore some effective strategies to increase your likelihood of winning the Green Card Lottery DV. 1. Submitting Early: Don't wait until the last minute to submit your application. The Green Card Lottery DV has a limited number of slots available, and once they are filled, no more applications will be accepted. By submitting your application early, you ensure that you have a higher chance of being considered. 2. Review the Eligibility Criteria: Before applying, carefully review the eligibility requirements for the Green Card Lottery DV. Ensure that you

What is the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and who is eligible?

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is a valuable opportunity for travelers to visit the United States without the need for a traditional visa. Designed to promote tourism and foster international relationships, the VWP allows citizens from specific countries to enter the US for up to 90 days for business or tourism purposes. This program not only facilitates seamless travel but also saves time and money for eligible individuals. To be eligible for the VWP, one must meet certain criteria. Firstly, the traveler must be a citizen of a participating country, which currently includes 39 nations primarily from Europe and Asia. Additionally, individuals must possess a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval, obtained online prior to departure. This simple process involves providing personal information and responding to a series of security-related questions. The VWP offers numerous advantages that make it a preferred option for eligible travelers. The most significant b