Skip to main content

Is it possible for a US citizen to file for spousal visa while a permanent resident for 5 years of an EU country?

Here is our situation: I (29) am a Slovak citizen, my boyfriend (44) is a US citizen. We met on the internet, and are currently long distance. We would like to meet as soon as possible, and prevent any long separation afterwards. We are considering different options about how to go about it, and trying to figure out which are actually possible, and how they compare as regards their likelihood of unproblematic success, length of necessary separation, cost etc.

One possible option:

He would come visit me in Slovakia on ETIAS/visa waiver, and during the visit we would get married (in Slovakia). As a spouse of a Slovak citizen, he could be granted permanent residence in Slovakia for 5 years - getting the permit would take up to 3 months (after the application is filed). He would probably have to go back to the US and come back after the permit is issued, because of the processing length (3 months ETIAS - 3 months application processing; and we would file after a month or so in Slovakia). After receiving the residence permit, and either while he was still in the US or after coming to Slovakia the second time, we would file for a spousal visa.

However, we are unsure: Is it even possible to file for a spousal visa as a permanent resident of Slovakia?

The point of getting the residence permit would be to prevent prolonged separation. We would file as soon as possible after getting the residence permit. He has a history of voting, a driver's license, and a bank account in the US - would that suffice as establishing domicile?

A further complication: he is currently unemployed, has been unemployed last year (so no tax returns), has a spotty history of employment for years, and has limited assets. His mother (90) agreed to cosponsor, but we wonder how her age might affect the viability of the co-sponsorship, especially since we would be filing while resident in Slovakia.

Thank you very much for any information!

submitted by /u/anxious-jackdaw
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

E3 Visa (Australians)

Who qualifies for the E3 visa? The E-3 visa classification applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E-3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizens. However the U.S. does not recognize De Facto relationships for the purposes of immigration, and to qualify as a spouse you will need a marriage certificate. Read more ...