Skip to main content

I'm an anchor baby, my mom wants to immigrate trough me

My mom birthed me and my sister in the US just so we would have the citizenship. I've lived my whole life in Tijuana. She did it 100% for us, I'm currently in college working a part-time minimum wage job in San Diego and that's great money for me. She has been in a relationship for like ten years with a US citizen, though they aren't married. In fact, he's been married this whole time (100% not together with the other woman, they just hadn't ended their relationship through legal means). For the last year he's been in court hearings regarding his divorce, there are disputes for alimony and assets and stuff, and there's no apparent near end.

So, recently, my mom got the itch to start looking for immigration routes. She went to a very well-known immigration law firm in the area, and apparently the best route is through me. Something to do with it being faster through your kids rather than through marriage, plus ideally if they get married they'd start the process as soon as possible, which would raise suspicions. My mom has a shitty memory and didn't take any notes so she doesn't even remember well what was said, but for some reason it's better to do it through me than through my sister. Context if important: I live in Tijuana and work in the US, part-time minimum wage job. Sister moved a bit more south to be with her partner and is working remotely for a San Diego company, full time engineering job. If she's forced to go back to work in person, she won't.

My mom's plan is to get the citizenship so she can semi-retire from her current professional job and live in Tijuana and work a part-time minimum wage job in San Diego. Please save any negative comments you might have about this, I'm only asking for the legality and feasibility of it.

If she does decide to go through me, would I be responsible for something? The one signing for economic support would be her partner. She said that they told her I would have to go to another appointment, sign something, and that would be my only participation in all of this. I want to take those papers to another lawyer just to check. What might those papers be?

Sorry for the long post.

submitted by /u/fetus-wearing-a-suit
[link] [comments]


Popular posts from this blog

NVC Case FE Review note

Hi everyone, my family and I are under the F3 category and we just received a notice from NVC that our documents have been approved and that we are Documentarily Qualified. My only concern is this message that we received today in addition to the acceptance: ​ " [Name of petitioner] does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit . To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted." ​ We already have a petitioner and a household sponsor (the household sponsor's income is above the required level), but still unsure why we received this. Has anyone else received this message? All of our documents say "Approved" on NVC. Does this mean we have to find another sponsor? Can we show the consular officer our

What is the DS-160 form and how do I fill it out?

The DS-160 form is a vital document that every individual applying for a United States nonimmigrant visa must complete. Whether you're planning to visit the U.S. for tourism, business, or any other purpose, this form is a crucial step in the visa application process. Here, we will guide you on how to fill out the DS-160 form effectively to ensure a smooth visa application journey. Firstly, it's important to note that the DS-160 form is an online application, so you'll need a stable internet connection to access and fill it out. Begin by visiting the U.S. Department of State's official website and locating the DS-160 form. Once there, carefully read through the instructions and gather all the necessary information and documents before starting the form. As you navigate through the DS-160 form, you'll encounter multiple sections covering personal information, travel plans, family details, work history, and security-related questions. It is crucial to be honest and

E3 Visa (Australians)

Who qualifies for the E3 visa? The E-3 visa classification applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E-3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizens. However the U.S. does not recognize De Facto relationships for the purposes of immigration, and to qualify as a spouse you will need a marriage certificate. Read more ...